We plan on using the old cabinets as storage for the garage workshop.
- The wall separating the kitchen and dining room will be gone
- Expose the brick chimney that is under the plaster (I know it's there because I can see it in the basement and attic)
- Create an island next to the stove that comes out into the current dining room
- The counters will come out another 6 inches or so into the dining room (and but up again the window frame)
- There will be counters to the right of the stove and next to the door in the breezeway (currently there is just the one stretch of countertop on the east wall)
- There will be a window bench under the window in the dining room (my version of having a couch in the kitchen)
- The laundry nook will also be a pantry
- The dining room will have built-ins against the wall that links it to the living room
- And here's the controversial one, but I've thought about it a lot and read about people who have them and I really think it'll work for us: no upper cabinets, instead we'll have open shelving (it'll primarily be just for the daily dishes & glasses and anything else that goes up there will just get a rinse before we use it)
I have a feeling once we live in the house plans will change a bit (I want to tape out the island on the carpet and practice walking around it, for example), but that's where they stand for now. I can't wait!